新規投稿される方は、こちらへ(アイコンの説明もあります)
No.5107
Dear JPCANADA - regarding prevalent racism on this site
by 無回答 from 無回答 2008/06/14 01:01:29

Let me start with a small example,

"ちょっと聞いてよ"
No.5265
Res.46

From what I understand, the expression "sinachon" is a racial slur aimed at Chinese and Korean. Some argue that "sina" is just a ancient name for China but "chon" is a racial slang that is similar to "jap" or "nigger". I remember that you deleted a reply that contained the word "jap", so I expect JPCANADA to delete replys that contain discriminatory and degrading expressions toward the certain race/nationality.

In Canada, it is a common rule for the public discussion sites to prohibit and do not tolerate any posts any inappropriate reference or comments towards a certain Faith or Religion or ethnic groups. What you host here are clearly considered as hate-literature = hate speech, which is a criminal activity defined by RCMP and the Criminal Code of Canada. You could argue that many posts simply contain newspaper articles and internet link(most of them do not even exist) to them. However, all of them have very biased and derogatory titles toward certain racial groups and obviously are only negative news aimed at generating hatred.

It seems that JPCANADA’s domain (66.98.212.237) is hosted in the States by The Planet.com Internet Services, Inc.,- perhaps this fact makes you think that you can safely avoid the Canadian law/standard and let users post offensive materials. I haven’t chek your ISP yet. Personally, I have worked as a volunteer for RCMP’s Community Police Station in the Try-City area and I know that they take hate/racial crimes very, very seriously. Moreover, a case like this does not require a person to sue the opposite party(JPCANADA), one can simply file a complain and they will be on to it, not to mention that they have great translators.

This is an excerpt from the Criminal Code of Canada.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Public Incitement of Hatred - Section 319(1) of the Criminal Code

The first part of section 319 (s. 319(1) or section 319, subsection 1) of the Code makes it a crime to "publically incite hatred". Read the section and look for the criminal act and the mental element of the crime.

SECTION 319.
Public incitement of hatred

319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

. . . . .

Definitions

319. (7) In this section,

"communicating" includes communicating by telephone, broadcasting or other audible or visible means;

"identifiable group" has the same meaning as in section 318;

"public place" includes any place to which the public have access as of right or by invitation, express or implied;

"statements" includes words spoken or written or recorded electronically or electro-magnetically or otherwise, and gestures, signs or other visible representations.

What is Inciting Hatred?

The criminal act of inciting hatred has a lot of different parts. It includes:

* communicating statements
* in a public place
* inciting hatred against an identifiable group
* and it’s likely there will be a breach of the peace

You need to prove all of the criminal act - if any one part is missing, then the accused is not guilty.
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/help/faq_e.htm

Question: How do I report what I consider to be criminal activity (e.g. hate literature) perpetrated over the Internet?

Answer: Crimes committed via the Internet are usually under the Criminal Code of Canada. The RCMP considers that criminal activities conducted via the Internet are traditional crimes that are committed through the use of an electronic communication device, and that investigations in such cases are the responsibility of municipal police departments. You should therefore file a complaint with your local police service and at the same time voice your concerns with the Internet Service Provider (ISP) hosting the offensive material. The Canadian Association of Internet Providers (www.caip.ca) would also welcome your comments or concerns in regards to Canadian ISPs.
----------------------------------------------------------

As stated above, any discrimination/hate literature on the internet is handled in the same way.

http://www.bnaibrith.ca/audit2005Analysis.html#s2

These are examples of only large and well-known cases. Again, as you see, the Canadian law enforcement agencies handle them seriously. This is not Japan where you can host anything and everything offensive and illegal on the internet. This is Canada and your office is based in Vancouver. Please do not rely on the language barrier, it will not protect you. Of course the freedom of speech is important, but what’s going on here clearly went over the line. If no action is taken toward the racial slurs/hate literature posted on this site AND/OR followed by some sort of preventive measures, I will have to take some or all of the following actions:

-File a comlaint to either RCMP or Vancouver City Police (I reside outside Vancouver, so I do not know which agency has the jurisdiction)

-File a report to British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal

-Complain to your ISP and the domain host of JPCANADA, The Planet.com Internet Services USA, about actively hosting illegal, offensive racist materials/comments.

-Contact the major local Canadian newspapers (The Vancouver Sun and The Province) regarding on-going racial discrimination in the public forum of JPCANADA, the largest internet site for Japanese residing in Canada

-Contact Chinese Canadian and Korean Canadian media (ex. Fairchild, Ming Pao, Sing Tao, Vancouver Chosun, Korea Times) and S.U.C.C.E.S.S. regarding on-going racial discrimination toward Chinese and Korean in JPCANADA, the largest internet site for Japanese residing in Canada; trust me, they will love it.

Thank you very much in advance.

the concerned

Res.1 by (゜∀゜)(登録済) from 日本 2008/06/14 10:08:46

このサイトの方針は、あくまでも管理放棄だからねぇ〜・・・・  
Res.2 by 無回答 from バンクーバー 2008/06/15 09:15:03

確かに度を過ぎた。  
Res.3 by Michael from 無回答 2008/06/15 19:10:23

Hello,
I have contacts in singtao and SUCCESS. I can help you reach them if you can’t speak either Cantonese or Mandarin. Please let me know.  
Res.4 by Jpcanada.com★ from バンクーバー 2008/06/16 14:59:34

ご意見ありがとうございます。

この件につきましては、社内にて検討させていただきます。  
Res.5 by 無回答 from バンクーバー 2008/06/19 12:21:52

返事ないし、こりゃ管理方法は変わらないってことかな?  
Res.6 by (゜∀゜)(登録済) from バンクーバー 2008/06/20 00:39:59

基本的に面倒くせーって感じなので、変わらないでしょーね・・  
削除依頼&ご意見トップ 新規投稿 jpcanada.com トップ
Supported by Spencer Network