また、掲示板上で誹謗・中傷を受けた場合は、速やかにサイト管理者までご連絡をお願いいたします。→連絡先
ちょっと聞いてよ
愚痴りたい時に限って、話す相手が見つからない事ってありませんか?
愚痴はもちろん、素敵な話から悩みまで、ここに書き込んでスッキリしましょう!
新規投稿される方は、こちらへ(アイコンの説明もあります)
No.4545
Japanse Only Signs still in Japan
by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/26 23:48:33

I know some older people still discriminate against foreigners in Japan but I was suprised to see this website that shows "Japanese Only" signs in Japan. What do young Japanese people think of this? Do you think Japan is changing or is there still some discrimination? Hopefully there will be no more these signs in the future and the people you put up these signswill start to see foreigners as humans instead of "outsiders."

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.debito.org/nogaijinnodrunkhotel2.jpg&imgrefurl= http://www.debito.org/roguesgallery.html&h=1191&w=1000&sz=275&hl =en&start=5&tbnid=Ue0yeWahbjRqAM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=126&prev=/images %3Fq%3Dno%2Bforeigners%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Res.1 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/27 00:52:50

Oh, western people are always arguing about their rights.

let me ask you this...
have u thought about the reason why this still happens?

one of the main reasons is OFTEN foreigners have bad mannerisms, not saying that Japanese do not. But if Japanese do behave inappropriately, the manager can at least deal with them in Japanese. the thing is the language barrier...

plus, foreigngers are NOT the only ones who are getting such treatment especially at Onsen bath houses...
Yakuzas and those with tattoos are not allowed to enter....did you know that?

Unfortunately, there are still many discriminations in Japan, such as ageism and sexism that even Japanese themselves are facing everyday at work and in a society....

So, just because you can not get into a bar or onsen, do not be traumatized. think about ones who can not get jobs just because they are old or women...

don’t you think those are more serious discrimination than "Japanese Only" signs that you are concerned about?

get a life and stop your complains  
Res.2 by 2 from 無回答 2007/11/27 02:31:36

Social rule in Japan is not always discribed wordly, as is more or less the case in long-lasting community. These so-called ’hidden rules’ functions best among people or community who tries to avoid unnecessary conflict, esp among aged societies.

I assume British or French would understand this. Though they don’t post bills like you mentioned above, there’s strict ’class barriers’ as well as language barrier. Okay, you won’t be denied entry into upscale club, for instance, but you will not be treated as pleasantly as other guests if you do not behave as you’re supposed to or do not talk in the same manner they talk.

The question is simply which do you think seems kinder to you, or which is likely to prevent your embarassment,
- No bills but hidden barrier. or
- Bills, which is apparent barrier.

Having said that.
Once gaijin starts to show respect our culture by learning to speak our language or learning to adopt our social manner, the shops or restaurants with these bills would surely be glad to open their doors to you. I believe Debito, fluent Japanese speaker himself, already understands this. Not sure about you OP, though. You can always give it a try once you feel you’re fit there.

On the other hand, expecting universal and equal treatment for all foreigners sounds pretty much like the culture from mixed-culture, immigrant-based society. If not I would say your idea is just an example of typical colonialist thoughts.  
Res.3 by 日本陣 from バンクーバー 2007/11/27 04:58:06

私達はそんな事実がある事を認めません。
私の育った東京ではまずそんなサイン見たこと無いですし(これは絶対!)、一部のどうしようもない田舎だったら分かりませんけど・・・

Res.4 by Dad from 無回答 2007/11/27 08:14:20

This sign became quite topical I believe about 6 or 7 years
ago in Japan and was reported widely by various news media
as blatant racism. It’s a public bath sign in a harbor town
in Hokkaido, the nothern most island in Japan, where heavy
trading with Russia takes place.
There had been occasional incidents where "some" Russian
crew members, being liberated on land from the harsh voyage,
got extremely drunk and caused some troubles such as
breaking properties and bothering other guests.

I agree that this is still discrimination and should be
dealt with somehow. But let me say that most cases of
discrimination in Japan comes from fear of dealing with
non-Japanese rather than hatred. In most cases there
is no sense of superiority or inferiority. When in
the US and Canada, I’ve often experienced a different
kind of racism that clearly comes from hatred towards
non-whites, or a belief that they are superior to other
races.

There is discrimination everywhere in the world, and it
seems this is and will be inevitable as long as we have
different caltural values, but I believe there are ways
to eliminate discrimination based on pure hatred.

I’m sure there are some Japanese who discriminate non-
Japanese from hatred. I’m simply talking about the degree
and basis of discrimination that most likely occur in
Asia including Japan and mainly white communities in
North America and some areas in Europe.

Res.5 by 無回答 from バンクーバー 2007/11/27 08:35:08

As already Dad san mentioned.
This is not same as famous KKK or discriminations and haters.

Res.6 by 無回答 from バンクーバー 2007/11/27 08:46:43

You must think why those are written in English. That simply says "You are not welcome if you do not speak Japanese in this country". Have you been to Quebec? I saw lots of jerks who don’t even try to say hello in local language when they are in foreign countries. Those are ignorant and not worth to communicate.  
Res.7 by 無回答 from バンクーバー 2007/11/27 09:12:25

First of all, that guy should make his website in Japanese. There is no point claiming that kind of thing in English... To whom does he want to say that? For now, it is just a personal grumbling.
There are lots of 2nd generation/half people who are accepted Japanese society. Because they speak Japanese and they understand Japanese custom.  
Res.8 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/27 13:10:07

Sorry, but I think most of the responses are ridiculous. First of all it is HIGHLY illegal to but a sign up like that in most countries. Can you imagine a sign up in Canada saying "No Chinese" or a sign saying "No Blacks"? There would be protests everywhere! Also, you say that foreign people are rude?! That is a racist stereotype! Why did you come visit Canada if you thought that? I used to live in Japan and I did feel some discrimination just because I was a foreigner. I am not saying al the time but I did feel that people naturally assumed I couldn’t speak Japanese even though I can speak it fairly well. I think that you have this opinion because you don’t have that much international experience. If you did kyou would realize that most other places in the world would be horrified by signs saying "No Foreigners." I am not accusing every Japanese of being racist. I just want to stay that it still happens and that Japanese society should work towards treating foreigners equally!!  
Res.9 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/27 13:18:56

It is said to see there is still a lot of narrow-minded people out there. I think that there is lots of excuses and "tatamae" for not treating foreigners equally. "Oh, they can’t speak Japanese...Japanese is a one-race country so our language and culture is so hard to learn." Those are just excuses in my opinion. PLUS Japanese is not the hardest language in the world to learn. It is actually pretty simple but it just takes a lot of time to memorize kanji. That’s it! I even find the word "gaijin" a little offensive. What happened to saying "gaikokujin"?  
Res.10 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/27 13:31:24

hey, Res 8

the signs DO NOT SAY "No foreigners".

They say "JAPANESE ONLY"...

do not get confused...

Plus, FYI, when I went to a bath house in Korea, i was given a locker that was under "Foreigners" section.

what would you say about that? uh?

This is not happening only in Japan...

if you are so internationally experienced, you should have known that such treatment for foreigners is everywhere!

Res.11 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/27 19:03:49

res. 10

What do you think "Japanese Only" means? It is just another way of saying "No Foreigners". It doesn’t take a genius to figure that out. Yeah, Korea has some racist customs also. I am not saying that Japan is the only country that has racism. However, often Japanese people don’t like admitting that there is a problem and try to promote the image of "Japan is such a peaceful country with no crime or discrimination." It would be better just to admit that Japan also has lots of social problems as a first step towards finding a solution. And please don’t give me..."Oh, your a westerner so you must not really understand Japanese culture or society." I really like Japan and Japanese culture but I think that Japan still needs to work on becoming more international if it really wants to develop as a nation. This goes for rights for foreigners, women’s rights etc.  
Res.12 by 無回答 from バンクーバー 2007/11/28 01:44:08

Res 10 >

Sure it doe not happen in only Japan, but it does and that is what the point is. It happens in Korea too... so two wrongs make a right? How did you feel when that happened to you?

Most socially modern countries do not allow such obvious discrimination (and no matter how you look at it - is will always be discrimination) Japan (and I guess Korea - but I did not live there only Japan so I myself cannot comment) are not one of those countries if signs like these can be seen today.  
Res.13 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/28 02:53:32

アジア女や黒人女より白人女性を雑誌の表紙にした方が良く売れる
by雑誌編集者
http://news23.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/news/1196241587/

いまだに白人至上主義者がいるんだな

Res.14 by 無回答 from バンクーバー 2007/11/28 10:01:54

It’s simple. If you think those signs are HIGHLY illegal, why don’t you just report local police station? Protests everywhere? Where?
When you go convenience store and take a look cashier, you will see the sign "No exchange" in English. Have you ever thought why it is English?
Actually, "gaijin is rude" is not a prejudice. Foreigner’s crime rate is twice more than Japanese’s.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%A4%96%E5%9B%BD%E4%BA%BA%E7%8A%AF%E7%BD%AA#.E5.9C.A8.E6.97.A5.E5.A4.96.E5.9B.BD.E4.BA.BA.E3.81.AB.E3.82.88.E3.82.8B.E7.8A.AF.E7.BD.AA

Res.15 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/28 12:12:32

Don’t you think it’s because you dropped an A bomb and haven’t even apologized us ?

We are freaking scared of you guys .

Watch HADASHI NO GEN

Res.16 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/28 12:30:02

They look like signs for places like cabaret (Places people go for mostly conversation and to play love game in Japan).

Workers are supposed to entertain customers with their conversation.

If you don’t understand Japanese , it would be really awkward you being there.

Maybe they mean Japanese "Language" Only.
You know, their English is amazingly bad.

There is another way of thinking...

I don’t remember exactly, but I heard about 40% of crimes in entire Japan is commited by foreigner.

Maybe they think foreigner = scary , trouble etc

Well, I just wrote down whatever the reason I could think of.

Sometimes,I don’t get treated fairly for being an Asian here too.

So, whatever.

At least they don’t shout at you "Go back to your f*cking country!!" on street like I have experienced here in Vancouver.

Res.17 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/28 18:55:00

"I don’t remember exactly, but I heard about 40% of crimes in entire Japan is commited by foreigner.

Maybe they think foreigner = scary , trouble etc"

Sorry, but I think your opinion is racist. It is false that crime in Japan is mostly committed by foreign people. What about all the Thai girls that are forced in to prostitution by Japanese gansters? Or Japanese guys touching women on trains? Obviously, you are trying to promote the image "Japan is a perfect country and only foreign people commit crime." I feel sorry for you because you are obviously narrow-minded. Whatever...There are lots of cool open-minded people in Japan so I hope I don’t meet someone like you when I am there. Cheers.  
Res.18 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/28 19:01:21

"When you go convenience store and take a look cashier, you will see the sign "No exchange" in English. Have you ever thought why it is English?"

It is in English because we are in Canada and it is meant for Americans. Have you ever seen a sign anywhere in Canada that says "No Japanese"? Plus, most of the crime in Japan is committed by Yakuza and others but it doesn’t get reported on T.V. Why do you have to blame Japan’s social problems on foreign people? The foreign population in Japan is something like 2% and the rest native Japanese. How can that 2% be committing 40% of the crime? Do you think that after teaching all the NOVA teachers go rob a bank or something? Lol!

Res.19 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/28 19:05:49

res. 14
"Actually, "gaijin is rude" is not a prejudice. Foreigner’s crime rate is twice more than Japanese’s."

That is a pretty racist statement. Why did you come to Canada then? If you don’t like gaijin why are you here studying or on a working-holiday?

Res.20 by 無回答 from 無回答 2007/11/28 20:21:23

It is very sad that these signs are still up in Japan.
They might put up those sings to avoid any trouble with any foreigners in advance. (They might already had some problem before or something, or staffs are terrible at speaking English. ) Yet, I think this is very racist.

I am Japanese who has been living in Canada for several years.
I haven’t experienced discrimination due to being a Japanese. As I read this topic, it made me think of "what if I was a foreigner in Japan and was treated this way?" I will be mad and offended for sure.

I didn’t like this narrow-minded society that Japan has. That’s why I left. But Japan is my country where my family lives. I hope someday Japan will become a real "international" country. (it might take a LONG time...:( )

ちょっと聞いてよトップ 新規投稿 jpcanada.com トップ
Supported by Spencer Network