また、掲示板上で誹謗・中傷を受けた場合は、速やかにサイト管理者までご連絡をお願いいたします。→連絡先
英語を話したい
多かれ少なかれ、みなさん英語の習得には苦労しているはず!
ここで英語の知識を共有して、英語のスキルアップをしましょう!
新規投稿される方は、こちらへ(アイコンの説明もあります)
No.4818
「待つことは心楽しいもの」を英語で
by 無回答 from 日本 2008/03/26 18:35:24

海外から日本に旅行(ツアー)で来る友だちに、久しぶりに会います。ホテルで会うことになったのですが、友だちの方は細かい予定がわからないので、私が早めに行って待つことにしました。

待っていることに気を使わせたくないので、「久しぶりに会う友だちを待っている時間って心楽しいものよ」と言いたいのですが。

Wairting for a friend whom I haven’t seen for years is enjoyable.

でいいのでしょうか。そのままなのですが・・・

よろしくお願い致します。

Res.1 by 無回答 from 無回答 2008/03/28 12:13:47

Waiting is half the fun. ちょっとニュアンスが違うけど。 素直に I am looking forward to seeing you. でもいいかも?   
Res.2 by 無回答 from トロント 2008/03/28 12:30:48

It is fun time to wait for my firend I’ve seen for long time.  
Res.3 by 無回答 from 無回答 2008/03/28 22:41:30

トピ主さんの例が一番ネイティブっぽいですよ。
もしくはレス2さんの、i’m looking forward・・・っていうもの。  
Res.4 by 無回答 from バンクーバー 2008/03/29 02:45:05

i don’t think it’d really work in english because for you not to have seen your friend long enough to warrent any greetings of the kind as "long time no see" would mean you have been waiting, in a sense, the whole while. to say that you are glad to wait in any manner would seem strange... it’s best to not say anything about the wait unless you were asked so and even then, i’d think you might best say something like:

"why, it’s precisely because i can’t wait any longer that i have arrived here early!"

here’s me practicing my beginner’s japanese (i.e. trust the english version if my japanese makes no sense)
以下は僕の初心者の日本語です:

その挨拶は英語で直接に言うとちょっと変の感じだと思います… 久しぶりに会うっていうのは長い間会えなくて待っているという意味に似ないでしょう…? 英語で「待っている時間って心楽しいもの」って言えば会えなかったほうがいいと感じです。 もしトピ主が待つことを聞かれたら上のほうがいいんじゃないでしょうかと思う。

上の句の意味は大体これでしょうか…? →「そんな!待ち遠しいんだから約束の時間には少し早かったんだよ!」  
Res.5 by 無回答 from 日本 2008/03/29 04:17:35

アドバイス、ありがとうございました。I’m looking forward to... はメールのやり取りの間に、何度も書いたのですが、彼女が私を待たせることになるのを、しきりに気にしていたので、何か言えないかなと思いました。

でも、やっぱり、楽しみにしている、とストレートに言う方がいいですね。ありがとうございました。  
Res.6 by 無回答 from 無回答 2008/03/29 12:15:23

I am so excited to see you and I don’t mind waiting!! Please don’t worry about me!!
とか、
I’d rather be at hotel early waiting for you than being late and make you wait for me.
などはどうでしょう?
が、当方も文法にはあまり自信ないのですが。。。

Res.7 by 無回答 from バンクーバー 2008/03/29 16:34:53

> I am so excited to see you and I don’t mind waiting!!
↑いいですね。長い間会ってない意味を込めて、

I’m so excited to see you after a long time, so I don’t mind waiting!! では?

I’m so happy to wait for you, because it’s been a long time since I saw you last! とか?  
Res.8 by 無回答 from バンクーバー 2008/03/29 23:50:32

res7:
from my perspective, including the fact that you’ve waited would sort of defeat the purpose of easing your friend from the thought of somehow obliging you to wait.

>I’m so excited to see you after a long time, so I don’t mind waiting!!

to be sure, it does the job, but the fact that you don’t mind the waiting doesn’t by default discharge your friend from making you wait, be it not intentionally. for example, you can put it even stronger by saying:

"I’m only too glad to see you again! the wait was nothing!" (or you can say "never mind the waiting!" - the point is you’re dismissing the wait)

this way, you are not only saying you don’t mind the waiting, but you’re are also urging your friend to not mind the fact that you have waited. but of course, if that was the point to begin with, then why remind your friend that you have waited at all unless you were asked? my example in res4 was already a witty way of turning a positive spin on the wait:

"why, it’s precisely because i can’t wait any longer that i have arrived here early!"

but even then, as you can see, the wait was not put under a positive light.

>I’m so happy to wait for you, because it’s been a long time since I saw you last!

and this was what i was trying to address in res4. to put it bluntly: it has the danger of sounding like sarcasm. it would sound like you are happy to have not seen your friend for this whole while and you were only too happy that the meeting could be delayed even further...

basically, there is a positive correlation between the intolerableness of your wait and the degree you miss your friend. it’s conventional to express any waiting as being intolerable as another way to say that you long to see your friend. you can at most dismiss that you have waited, but to express that your wait has been pleasurable in any sense, as far as i know, would be a huge breach of etiquette.  
Res.9 by 無回答 from 無回答 2008/03/30 11:59:51

I am so excited to be able to see you again that I would enjoy every minute of waiting for your arrival. どうかな?  
Res.10 by 無回答 from 無回答 2008/03/30 13:13:10

res4さんが言ってるように、くどすぎるってば。
何か言われたら 大丈夫だ、何てことない って言えばいいと俺も思う。  
英語を話したいトップ 新規投稿 jpcanada.com トップ
Supported by Spencer Network